Thursday, May 16, 2013

Zinger #2


This event occurred at the new #2 during the middle of the afternoon.  Dennis Axford was explaining to the guys how he had visited a friend of his one afternoon at said friend’s apartment building. Apparently his friend was the manager of the building and was concerned because one of the tenants had a bad habit of not paying the rent on time. Dennis explained that during the visit his friend had asked him to accompany him to the tenant’s apartment to collect the rent. When Dennis asked him why he needed him to assist him his friend replied, “Well...if things get out of control or heat up I might need you for “backup”.

Dennis had obviously refused because he said to us around the table, “Hey, look at this face; I can’t afford to get it messed up”. Dennis had apparently thought of himself somewhat as a heartthrob at the time and compared himself with other handsome leading men such as Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. J I always thought he looked more like Woody Allen myself.

My mind cleared at that moment and I could actually picture myself throwing the Zinger when the timing was perfect.

Like a perfectly timed moment in history the opportunity opened up when Dennis began to speak. Not realizing what was about to happen he made the following remark, “I have no idea why the guy would ask me up there if he knew I wasn't a street fighter! What was he thinking?”

The Zinger left its comfortable place and sped towards the target with precise accuracy.

I replied, “The guy probably wanted to use the jawbone of an ass for protection.”

Dennis’ jawbone dropped and one of the senior guys even got up and shook my hand, “Good one, Lodge”, he laughed.

Come to think about it I haven’t seen Dennis for some time now. Hummmm.

No comments:

Fire Find

Fire Find Search Fire Find - Be specific: Try FDNY or Los Angeles Fire. Search for: