Sunday, May 19, 2013

Zinger #3

Some of you reading this will most likely remember the “Afro” haircuts back in the 70’s.  At the time it seemed everyone with hair in the department had to go out and get this new “do”. The only intelligent ones who decided against it were the ladies who were employed there at the time. So much for the male gene for intelligence being  dominant.


 Let me describe the look: the hair was curled tightly and then a hair solution known as a permanent was applied. The successful results appeared like those in the picture (inset). Well kind of. They even had these special combs called ‘picks’ that were used to fluff out the “Do” to enormous proportions. The hair defied gravity.

Guys were flocking to the hairdressers like lemmings flying over the nearest cliff! Most results were fantastic! Some should have had serious reconsideration. Most of the guys looked like they should be dancing on the old TV program Soul Train and acted like they must be interviewed by the host of the show Don Cornelius. I swear one time out in the parking lot at headquarters I heard a group of the guys in a van lip syncing to Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes: Please Don’t Leave Me This Way! 

Not to be outdone I had the audacity to think that I might look not half bad myself if I gathered enough courage to go and have the latest “Do” myself. At the conclusion of the procedure I took a look in the mirror “...WOW...not bad”, I thought. Not perfect; but, still not too bad.

The day came when I was on duty in line up...wearing my cap so nobody could see my new “Do”.  So exciting!!!!!

I walked into the dining room at Headquarters with my new “Do” revealed for all to see.

I never realized until that very moment that a very receding hairline was not a good look for the new”Do”.  My hair was NOT defying gravity!!!! Actually it appeared like a forest that had been strip mined!

Here is where the Zinger took birth.

Ron Jones took one look at me and programmed the Zinger. He hit the fire button and said.

 “Hey Lodge... that isn't an Afro.....it’s a “Halfro”...

If I still lived in Windsor and was in his riding I would never vote for him... just sayin’ >8- )

(Just Kidding)

No comments:

Fire Find

Fire Find Search Fire Find - Be specific: Try FDNY or Los Angeles Fire. Search for: